These systems are the most commonly misapplied water treatment device in the Southern California market place. Sold using many different names “No Salt Water Softeners” – “No Salt Conditioners” – “No Chemical No Salt No Maintenance Water System” “Salt Free Water Conditioner” and many more names that make the consumer feel good. The description of what benefits they will provide are most often stretched way beyond their capabilities. Usually will include a statement that they are easily installed and will provide conditioned water for a significant number of years and/or gallons of water requiring little if any maintenance during this long period of time. Oh…almost forgot that they will likely say something like “provides bottled quality water at every tap throughout your home”. One more thing is they will promote that they leave the beneficial minerals in the water.
The Real Truth About Water Conditioners…
- These units do not produce soft water…if you test the water hardness entering the unit and the water hardness leaving the unit – there will be no reduction in the hardness.
- These units should never be sold as a solution for hard water issues.
- Many variables need to be taken into account when stating how long a water treatment device will last…water quality – flow rate – water usage – consumer expectations. No professional water treatment person would ever make any claims on the length of time a unit will perform without first having the information above.
- Most of the bottled water sold today is produced using the reverse osmosis process. These brands include Aquafina – DaSani – Sparkletts – Nestle Pure Life – Kirkland (Costco) – Members Mark (Sam’s Club) – your corner water store – any drink bottler or food manufacturer will use RO water to mix with their products.
- The water will taste better after going through these units because the chlorine/chloramines have been reduced. The water by no means comes close to the water quality of the examples above. For that reason we would not make a claim that these units “will provide bottled quality water throughout the house”.
- These units will not protect a tankless water heater or any other water heating device from the affects of hard water. That’s because those beneficial minerals are left in the water to become hard water scale.
- If you are a consumer that has had a water softener prior in your life, you instantly will tell the difference and will not be happy with the performance or capabilities of a water conditioner.
Why Would Anyone Purchase One of These Units…
Well a conditioner shouldn’t be purchased to solve hard water issues, but they can provide a very important role in home water treatment. They will reduce the chlorine/chloramine content in the water, it is well known that these elements in the water are not a good thing. If you are concerned about the effects chlorine & chloramines in your water, suffer from dry or other skin conditions and want to improve the taste and/or eliminate the odor from your water. A water conditioner is a good choice for you.
Install a water conditioner along with a water softener and you now have not only provided protection and extended the life of all of your water using appliances, plumbing, fixtures and dishes, but also have provided aesthetically pleasing and better quality tasting water for your family.
What Can I expect From A Water Conditioner…
- Better Tasting Water Throughout the House
- Reduces the Chlorine and Chloramine Content for Showering, Bathing and Cooking
- Filters Out Dirt and Sediment Automatic Self Cleaning – No Filters to Replace
- Great for Children and Adults with Sensitive Skin
- Inhibits the Growth of Bacteria, Fungi, Algae and Mold
- Reduces Some Heavy Metals Such as Lead, Copper, Iron, Nickel etc.
Residential Water Softeners
We are one of the few water treatment suppliers that offer both conventional Water Softeners and the “No salt No chemical” home conditioners, along with filtration systems and other alternative ways to treat your water. Making a decision on home water treatment can sometimes become confusing depending on who you listen to…because we offer all options for your home water treatment we can recommend the best solution for your specific application. Regardless of what some may lead you to believe there are no secret proprietary processes for treating your water.
A water softener is always the best solution for hard water issues around the house. Here in Southern California we have very hard to severely hard water. A water softener when sized correctly and maintained will remove the calcium and magnesium from the water. These 2 elements are what cause the hard water deposits, spotting, reduce the efficiency and life span of all water using appliances around the home. Simply put, if these elements are no longer in the water – hard water issues cannot occur.
You will never see anything other than a water softener in a restaurant, hotel or any other commercial business. They know the benefits of soft water…they also know no other water treatment process or device will give them soft water.
Water Softener Myth Buster
Four Misconceptions About Water Softeners
Hate that Slick Slimy Feel
Professional water softeners of today do not produce that slick slimy feel that many consumers either love or hate. In fact it is not uncommon for us to receive a call from a customer that recently had one of our softeners installed, saying that they don’t think the water is soft because it doesn’t have the same feel they remember. We will send them out a couple of water hardness test strips to make sure the water softener is working correctly and never hear from them again…water was soft, just didn’t have the feel that the old softening system produced.
Don’t Want to Deal with All of That Salt
It wasn’t too long ago that water softeners for an average family of four would use 6-8 bags of salt a month. With today’s equipment we will use about 1 bag of salt, which needless to say is a huge reduction in the amount of salt required to operate a softener. The salt container or brine tank will hold 6 bags or enough to operate the softener for about 6 months…only requires adding salt a couple of times a year. Want to make it completely maintenance free – put the gardener in charge.
Salt in the Water is Unhealthful
The salt or sodium is used to periodically to clean the water softening media from the calcium and magnesium that has been removed from the water. All three elements are effectively then rinsed down the drain, the salt isn’t continually added to the water or left in the tank to go into the home. There is a negligible amount of sodium that will be released as the calcium and magnesium are attracted out of the water. This amount is generally less than the amount of naturally occurring sodium that we already have in our water supply. Using average Southern California hard water as a guide, 2 quarts of softened water will contain about 150 mgl of sodium. Other foods to compare 1 tbsp of catsup 178 mgl – 1 serving of the following – plain yogurt 159 mgl – chicken noodle soup 850 mgl – cheerios 284 mgl – green beans 354 mgl – (10) pretzels 1029 mgl. As you can see the amount of sodium introduced is a negligible amount compared to the sodium we receive from other foods in our diet.
Still not convinced…with our equipment you can use potassium instead of salt to operate the water softener. Potassium is available at all home improvement stores, located in the same area as the water softener salt.
My City Doesn’t Allow Water Softeners
The only city in Southern California that has restrictions on water softeners is Santa Clarita.
So, there you have it – the honest information regarding the owning and operating of a water softener in your home. You now know why we will always recommend a water softener for hard water issues…it’s presently the only way to effectively soften the water in your home.
A water softener when correctly sized and maintained will provide many advantages throughout your home. Here are just a few:
- Cleaner Softer Laundry, Skin and Hair
- Spot Free Dishes, Silverware and Shower Doors
- Eliminates Mineral Deposits on Faucets, Fixtures and Pipes
- Cleaning made easier
- Great for Children and Adults with Sensitive Skin
- Save $$$on all Detergents, Soaps and Cleaning Supplies
- Extends the Life of all Water using Appliances…Dishwasher, Washing Machine, Tank & Tankless Hot Water Heaters, Coffee Makers etc.
Get A Free Estimate
We are more than happy to give advice on which solution is most suitable for your needs, depending on your Plumbing Services in Diamond Bar. Why not ask us to view your property and discuss the various options with you now. Our advice is free!